What to do if you get an Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residence
If you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence through Canada’s Express Entry system, congratulations! Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for permanent residence:
- Double-check your eligibility: Before you start your application, make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements for permanent residence, including health and security checks.
- Gather your documents: You will need to gather all the documents you need to support your application, including your passport, language test results, education credentials, and work experience.
- Submit your application online: You will need to submit your application for permanent residence online through the IRCC website. You will need to create an account and follow the instructions to complete your application.
- Pay the fees: You will need to pay the application fees online when you submit your application. The fees can vary depending on the program you are applying under, your family size, and other factors.
- Wait for processing: After you submit your application, you will need to wait for IRCC to process it. This can take several months, so be patient. You can check the status of your application online.
- Complete any additional steps: Depending on your situation, you may need to complete additional steps, such as an interview or a medical exam.
- Receive your confirmation of permanent residence: Once your application is approved, you will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). This document allows you to enter Canada as a permanent resident.
- Plan your move: After you receive your COPR, you can start planning your move to Canada. You will need to become a landed immigrant when you arrive in Canada, which involves presenting your COPR to a border officer.
Overall, receiving an ITA is a significant step towards obtaining permanent residence in Canada, but there are several important steps you need to take to ensure your application is successful. By following these steps and providing all the necessary documentation, you can increase your chances of being approved for permanent residence.