Home Family sponsorship Family Sponsorship Most popular Questions and their answers

Family Sponsorship Most popular Questions and their answers

by Immigration Team
0 comment
Super Visa 2022

The complexities of the Canadian immigration process can be challenging, especially when it involves sponsoring family members for permanent residency. Questions ranging from the definition of complex family sponsorship applications, eligibility criteria for sponsors, changes in the spousal sponsorship program, to more specific concerns around dependent children, income requirements, and dealing with changes in personal information or discrepancies in documentation, are common. Here, we’ve answered a comprehensive set of twenty key questions to provide a detailed understanding of the various aspects of family sponsorship for immigration to Canada. The aim is to simplify this complex process and enable potential sponsors to be better prepared for their immigration journey.

Sure, here’s the detailed version:

  1. What is a complex family sponsorship application? A complex family sponsorship application refers to an immigration application in Canada where a sponsor, either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, intends to sponsor multiple family members to immigrate to Canada. This can include a wide range of relatives such as children, spouses, parents, grandparents, or even other relatives depending on specific circumstances. The complexity arises from the diverse eligibility criteria, specific requirements, and different application processes that need to be followed for each family member. It requires careful management to ensure that all aspects of the process are accurately completed.
  2. For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner? In the context of a spousal sponsorship application to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a common-law partner is someone who has been living together with the sponsor in a marital relationship, similar to a marriage, for at least one year. The one year period should be continuous, although short separations for reasons such as business travel or family reasons are typically acceptable. Evidence such as joint bank accounts, lease agreements, or shared bills can be used to prove a common-law relationship.
  3. What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program? Changes to the spousal sponsorship program are intended to streamline the process, increase efficiency, and decrease waiting times for application processing. These changes have included measures like simpler application kits, reducing the backlog of applications, and prioritizing the processing of spousal sponsorship applications. These changes aim to facilitate faster family reunions.
  4. Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times? If you currently have a spousal sponsorship application in process, the changes made to reduce waiting times could impact your application by potentially leading to faster processing times. IRCC has been working to streamline its processes and reduce backlogs, and these changes could benefit those who have applications in process.
  5. How can I sponsor my spouse or children? In order to sponsor your spouse or children for immigration to Canada, there are several eligibility criteria you must meet. Firstly, you need to be at least 18 years old. Secondly, you need to be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident living in Canada. Additionally, you need to demonstrate that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and that you are capable of providing for the basic needs of the person or persons you intend to sponsor. You will need to provide evidence of your relationship with the person you are sponsoring, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificates, and complete the relevant application forms.
  6. Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate? When you immigrate to Canada, you are permitted to bring your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children, and any children that your dependent children have. A dependent child is defined as a child under the age of 22 who is not married or in a common-law relationship. Older children may also be considered dependent if they rely on their parents for financial support because of a physical or mental condition.
  7. How can I include a dependent child on my application? To include a dependent child on your application, you need to provide documentation that proves their age and their relationship to you. This can include official documents such as a birth certificate, adoption papers, or court documents proving legal guardianship.
  8. I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application? If you have already become a permanent resident of Canada, you can still sponsor your dependent child for immigration. However, this will not be an addition to your original application, but a separate sponsorship application.
  9. What counts as income for sponsoring my parents and grandparents? When sponsoring your parents and grandparents, a variety of income sources are taken into account. These can include income from employment, self-employment, income from investments, rental income, and certain types of government benefits such as old age security pension and the Canada child benefit. The exact income requirement varies depending on the size of your family and the number of family members you intend to sponsor.
  10. What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents? Social assistance in the context of sponsoring parents and grandparents for immigration to Canada refers to any benefits that you receive from the government because of low income, unemployment, or disability. If you are receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, you may not be eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents.
  11. What proof do I need for changes to my information after I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents? If there are changes to your information after you have been invited to apply to sponsor your parents, you need to provide documentation to support these changes. This could include things like proof of a change of address (such as a utility bill or lease agreement), proof of a new job (like a job offer or contract), or evidence of a change in family situation (like a marriage certificate or birth certificate).
  12. What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)? If your birth certificate is different from your other documents, or you don’t have one, you will need to provide other official documentation that can verify your identity and age. This could include a passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued identification. In some cases, you may also need to provide an explanation for any discrepancies.
  13. I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents, but didn’t get an email confirmation. How do I get it? If you were invited to apply to sponsor your parents and did not receive an email confirmation, there are a few steps you can take. First, check the “message center” in your online account for any messages from IRCC. If there is nothing there, you can try contacting IRCC directly for assistance.
  14. On the interest to sponsor form I only mentioned one parent. Can I now apply to sponsor them both? If you initially mentioned only one parent on your interest to sponsor form but now wish to sponsor both, you may be able to do so. However, you should contact IRCC directly to update your application, as the exact process may depend on your specific circumstances and the current policies in place.
  15. Will you refuse my application if I put a different parent than on my interest to sponsor form? Listing a different parent on your actual application than the one mentioned in your interest to sponsor form may raise concerns about the authenticity and accuracy of your application. It could potentially lead to your application being refused. It’s always best to ensure consistency in your information across all forms and stages of the application process.
  16. Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application? A marriage certificate for your parents or grandparents is usually necessary in the sponsorship application as it provides a concrete proof of the relationship between your parents. It helps to validate the information provided in your application and establish the legitimacy of the family relationship.
  17. I’m sponsoring my parent. I don’t know where their separated spouse is. How do I apply? If you are sponsoring a parent and don’t know the whereabouts of their separated spouse, you may still proceed with the application process. However, you’ll likely need to provide a detailed explanation of the situation and may need to complete a statutory declaration stating that you don’t know the location of the separated spouse.
  18. Do I include time on parental leave in my employment history for sponsoring my parents? When compiling your employment history for the purpose of sponsoring your parents, periods of parental leave can typically be included. Parental leave is generally seen as an extension of your employment period, as it’s a legally protected absence from work.
  19. What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it? In situations where you do not know the exact date of birth or death of a family member, you should provide an approximate date based on any available information you have. It’s important to provide an explanation as to why the exact date is unknown and to make clear that the date provided is an estimation.
  20. How can I quickly get information about my Canadian citizenship to sponsor parents/grandparents? If you need to quickly get information about your Canadian citizenship status for the purpose of sponsoring parents or grandparents, you can utilize the online services provided by IRCC, which include options for checking your status and obtaining copies of official documents. You can also request a citizenship certificate from IRCC as proof of your status. Please note, processing times may vary.

About Author

You may also like

Leave a Comment


Immigration 2 Canada is the your trusted source for latest news and updates on Immigration Canada

Immigration 2 Canada. All Right Reserved.