Home Exclusive Travel Requirements for Canadian Citizens Aged 15 and Under Entering the United States:

Travel Requirements for Canadian Citizens Aged 15 and Under Entering the United States:

by Immigration Team
0 comment
travel kids Canada to USA

When Canadian citizens aged 15 years and under travel to the United States by land or water, they have specific document requirements. They are not required to present a passport like adult travelers. Instead, they have the following options:

  1. Passport: While not mandatory, a passport is the most universally accepted and recommended travel document. It serves as proof of citizenship and identity.
  2. Birth Certificate: Canadian children can enter the United States using an original or a copy of their birth certificate. The birth certificate should include the child’s full name, date of birth, place of birth, and the names of both parents.
  3. Canadian Citizenship Certificate: Another acceptable document is the original Canadian citizenship certificate, which verifies the child’s Canadian citizenship.

It’s important to note that these requirements apply specifically to land or water travel, such as crossing the border by car or boat. When traveling by air, including international flights, all Canadian citizens, regardless of age, are required to present a valid passport.

Related Facts and Topics:

  1. Enhanced Driver’s License: Some Canadian provinces, such as British Columbia, Manitoba, and Ontario, offer an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) that can be used as an alternative to a passport for land and water travel to the United States. The EDL combines a driver’s license with proof of citizenship.
  2. NEXUS Program: The NEXUS program is a trusted traveler program jointly run by the United States and Canada. It provides expedited processing for pre-approved, low-risk travelers at designated air, land, and marine ports of entry. This program is available to Canadian citizens of all ages.
  3. Traveling with Minors: When a child is traveling with only one parent or legal guardian, it is advisable to carry a consent letter signed by the absent parent or guardian. This letter confirms that the child has permission to travel and may be required by border officials.
  4. Validity and Expiration: Ensure that the chosen travel document, whether a passport or birth certificate, is valid and has not expired. It is recommended to check the expiration dates well in advance of travel to avoid any issues.

It’s important to stay informed about the latest travel requirements and regulations, as they can change periodically. The official websites of the U.S. Department of State and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) provide detailed and up-to-date information for travelers.

About Author

You may also like

Leave a Comment


Immigration 2 Canada is the your trusted source for latest news and updates on Immigration Canada

Immigration 2 Canada. All Right Reserved.