Home Caregiver Immigration Important Updates: Open Work Permits for Home Child Care Providers and Home Support Workers

Important Updates: Open Work Permits for Home Child Care Providers and Home Support Workers

by Immigration Team
0 comment
caregiver immigration Canada

Canada is enhancing its immigration pathways for caregivers. The Home Child Care Provider Pilot (HCCPP) and Home Support Worker Pilot (HSWP) have been updated to streamline the process, enabling eligible caregivers to acquire valuable Canadian work experience while their applications for permanent residency are processed.

Key Information: The latest changes to the HCCPP and HSWP facilitate a smoother transition for caregivers aiming for permanent residency in Canada. Here are the main points:

  • “Gaining Experience” Category A: This category allows caregivers who are yet to accumulate the required Canadian work experience to begin working sooner under an occupation-restricted open work permit (OROWP).
  • Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must have a valid job offer in Canada and meet the qualifications for their specific caregiving occupation to apply.
  • Application Process: Caregivers must apply for their ORWOP concurrently with their permanent residency application, ensuring a coordinated processing of both.
  • Work Permit Duration and Conditions: The work permits are typically issued for the duration up to the decision on their permanent residency application, with specific work restrictions tied to the caregiving profession.

Real-Life Scenarios:

  • Scenario 1: Maria from the Philippines, a qualified home child care provider, is thrilled about the updates allowing her to apply for an open work permit alongside her permanent residency application. This change means she can begin her caregiving role in Canada sooner and start adapting to her new community.
  • Scenario 2: John, a home support worker from India, currently in Canada on a visitor visa, finds the new rules beneficial as he can now apply for an open work permit. This permit allows him to earn a living while he awaits the outcome of his permanent residency application.


  • Q: How long does it take to process an OROWP?
    • Processing times can vary, but updates aim to expedite the review process for caregiving professionals.
  • Q: Can my family come with me?
    • Yes, accompanying family members may also apply for their respective visas or permits concurrently.
  • Q: Where can I find more information and application forms?

Explore the HCCPP and HSWP pages on the official IRCC website for more detailed information. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to leave a comment below or contact us directly.

These updates are designed to streamline the pathway for dedicated caregivers looking to make Canada their permanent home. If you are a home child care provider or home support worker, consider how these positive changes could impact your immigration journey and provide you with the opportunity to start building your future in Canada sooner.

About Author

Leave a Comment


Immigration 2 Canada is the your trusted source for latest news and updates on Immigration Canada

Immigration 2 Canada. All Right Reserved.